Other Worries and Concerns


There may be a time when we need support or advice about our own pet or the pets of others, or of animals that belong to other people. It maybe that we consider the animal not to have an owner at all, who may be in danger, need help, or may be suffering neglect. More recently, we may have seen an increase of animals requiring some form of support because their owners simply do not have the funds to look after them any longer.

Sadly not everyone knows how to seek help, some choose not to seek help for many different reasons

Local charities and agencies not only aim to put an end to animal cruelty, by heading some of the biggest campaigns ever, but also they provide advice on caring for animals, education, how to volunteer and how to report concerns.

You can call such organisations for advice if you are unsure of next steps.

Given that technology and social media is high on every ones agenda, especially our younger generation, organisations use these platforms to not only share the great work they do but also to offer the education and tools we need to achieve the desired outcomes.


Advice is available for dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, rodents, ferrets, exotic pets, ornamental fish, unwanted pets, pet bereavement, find a vet.


Tel: 0300 1234 999                    Website: RSPCA.org.uk


For people who are in receipt of certain benefits: Housing benefit, council tax support, child tax an working tax credits, universal credits, pension credits, income support, job seekers, ESA, the PDSA will offer free or subsidised treatment.


Tel: 0800 917 2509                   Website: pdsa.org.uk/pet-help-and-advice/our-services


Vet care available to pets whose owners receive certain means tested benefits and live within the catchment area of one of the hospitals. Log on line to complete a post code checker, albeit not likely to be in Staffordshire.


Tel: 0300 7909 903                   Website: Bluecross.org.uk


Locally to Staffordshire

Local dog charity and rehoming centre/ kennels



Tel: 07925 585358                   Website: animallifeline.org.uk


A non-profit organisation who deal with some very poorly reptiles and can offer some expert advice have got a Facebook page


Tel: 07938 367199                   Facebook site: CheshireReptileRescue


Iris’s Cats in Need

Based in the Stoke on Trent area, they are here to relieve the suffering of stray cats and kittens with the ultimate goal of finding them loving and responsible homes.

Facebook site: iriscatsstoke

There is the option of Twitter, You tube, Instagram, or facebook pages for those that prefer for the RSPCA and most other organisations

Young People

If you live in North Staffordshire:

Is a confidential service for young people up to 20 years old in Staffordshire (excluding Stoke-on-Trent). They aim to help young people make informed choices about their alcohol and drug use, and to raise awareness of all the risks involved.

Website: T3 Stars Young People’s Service – Staffordshire Treatment and Recovery Service (staffstreatmentandrecovery.co.uk)

If you live in Stoke-on-Trent:

Offer a free and confidential support service for anyone living in Stoke-on-Trent who is struggling with drug or alcohol addiction.


Website: Contact Us, Stoke-On-Trent Community Drug and Alcohol Services (scdas.org.uk)

If something in your relationship doesn’t feel right, we can help.


Website: Our services – Find The Glow

The Staffordshire Youth Offending Service works across the youth justice system as part of a wider team of staff from social, health, education, housing, police, probation, and drugs and alcohol misuse services


Website: North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare Staffordshire Youth Offending Service


Services related to gangs and violence reduction, victim support, offender management, youth justice and more.


Website: Our Services – Catch22 (catch-22.org.uk)


We support children and young people who are at risk of being involved in crime.


Website: Youth offending prevention service | Staffordshire Connects

Sexual Health services in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin

Website: Services Archive – Open Clinic


We provide a range of sexual health services for people living in Stoke-on-Trent and North Staffordshire, including free condoms, contraception, sexual health testing and more.

Website: Stoke-on-Trent & North Staffordshire Sexual Health Services (mpft.nhs.uk)


We work with young people and families, providing early intervention, targeted and specialist support services to those in crisis, leaving care, missing from home or with substance misuse or mental health problems.


Website: Young people and families – Catch22 (catch-22.org.uk)

Offering help to all those affected by domestic abuse in Staffordshire or Stoke-on-Trent, New Era provides free and confidential support for victims, perpetrators and their families.

Website: New Era – New Era is the new holistic Domestic Abuse (new-era.uk)

We work with young people and families, providing early intervention, targeted and specialist support services to those in crisis, leaving care, missing from home or with substance misuse or mental health problems.

Website: Young people and families – Catch22 (catch-22.org.uk)

Website: Home – Staffordshire Safeguarding Children Board (staffsscb.org.uk)


The Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Safeguarding Children Board (SSSCB) together with all partner agencies oversee the work that takes place in our city / county to protect children and young people from abuse and neglect. It helps to co-ordinate the way in which support services are delivered to those who need them.

Website: Safeguarding Children Stoke

We work with young people and families, providing early intervention, targeted and specialist support services to those in crisis, leaving care, missing from home or with substance misuse or mental health problems.

Website: Young people and families – Catch22 (catch-22.org.uk)

As the leading experts around sexual violence and abuse in North Staffordshire. Savana provide help and support for anyone within North Staffordshire, from the age of 4 and upwards who have experienced any form of sexual violence whether recently or in the past.

Website: SERVICES – Savana


The Early Intervention Team serves people with early Psychosis who are aged 14–64 and their families. The programme bridges youth and adult mental health services, and links community with hospital across North Staffordshire, including Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme and the Staffordshire Moorlands area.

Website: https://www.ei-team.org.uk/

The Staffordshire Liaison and Diversion team provide support to people who have been arrested by Staffordshire Police, who or appear in Magistrates Court at Newcastle-Under-Lyme.

We provide assessments for many difficulties that may impact on your ability to understand the criminal justice process. The criminal justice process includes being arrested, your detention in custody and appearance in court. You may have mental health difficulties, a learning disability or neurodiversity which may impact on you and your ability to engage with the criminal justice process. It is common for people to find the experience stressful if you have additional needs. Professionals within Police Custody or the Court may refer you to the Liaison and Diversion Team for an assessment of these needs.


We would ask for agreement and consent to talk to you for this assessment, however if we are concerned that you do not have capacity to consent then we may need to continue to assess your needs to ensure your health and wellbeing are taken into account within the criminal justice process.

Capacity: the person must be capable of giving consent, which means that they understand and remember the information given to them, and use or weigh up the relevant details to make an informed-decision. They must also be able to communicate their decision (Taken from Trust Policy)

During the assessment we will discuss the needs you have, how these impact on you and if they may impact on your contact with the criminal justice system. We may explore appropriate self-help advice, we may signpost you to other support services and we may refer you into more specialist services for your needs.

If we identify that you may struggle to engage with services, which we agree could be beneficial then we discuss referring you to the Liaison and Diversion Outreach Team for up to 8 weeks of support. When referred to the Outreach team they will make contact via telephone, or agreed other ways of contact as discussed in your assessment. The Outreach Team work Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.  Within the Outreach Team there are lived experience workers who have been through the criminal justice system and now are in a position to support you getting help, like they did, and can show that there is still a future after contact with the criminal justice system. 


Information Sharing

We have a duty to share information with the Police and Court about any risks you disclose to us and any information regarding an alleged offence.

We would discuss with you whether you consent to information about your health and wellbeing being shared with the Police, Crown Prosecution and Court however please note – there are times when we may be required by law to share your information without your consent, for example:-

  • Where there is a serious risk of harm or abuse to you, or other people
  • Safeguarding matters and investigations
  • Where a serious crime, such as assault, is being investigated or where it could be prevented
  • Notification of new births
  • Where we encounter infectious diseases that may endanger the safety of others, such as meningitis or measles (but not HIV/ AIDS)
  • Where a formal court order has been issued
  • Where there is a legal requirement, for example, if you had committed a road traffic offence

North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare NHS Trust is committed to ensuring that when required to share personal information, we will endeavour to share only the minimal amount of information as is necessary for the given purpose.



Custody Suite and Court Locations (Operative Hours)

  • People who are arrested are taken to Northern Area Custody Facility, Crown Road, Etruria, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 5NP or to Watling Street Custody, Watling Street, Gailey, Stafford, ST19 5PR – Referrals are accepted between 8:00 and 19:00
  • If you are to go to court, most people will attend North Staffordshire Justice Centre, The Court House, Ryecroft, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5 2DG although you may have to attend Cannock Magistrates Court, The Court House, Wolverhampton Road, Cannock WS11 1AT

Please note – courts will not let you into the building before 9am and court does not start until 10am

In court we are present 8am-4pm Monday to Friday and Saturday during court opening hours.

Living in Stoke-on-Trent or North Staffordshire and open to Probation Services

If you are open to Probation services and you are struggling with your mental health, then you can ask to be referred to Liaison and Diversion who may offer you an assessment of your needs.  Following this assessment, you may be signposted to other agencies for further support.  This may include the Outreach Team.

Life after being involved with the Criminal Justice System

If you are not referred to the Outreach team you may still find that after your arrest or court appearance that you are worrying about what will happen next or how the allegation may impact on your life, you may worry that you will be charged or what could happen if your case goes to court. Some people find this impacts on their mood – a person may feel quite low, their sleep may be disrupted and their appetite may change. If you feel you need more support please follow these links Link to “Psychological First Aid”, on the Trusts Wellbeing Portal.

Finding Help

You can inform Police or Court Cell Staff or Court Ushers that you require an assessment of your needs to access more support within our operating hours.

Within Police Custody there is a team available to assess urgent physical health needs and the Drug and Alcohol team may be available to assess you and refer you into the relevant service.

Police Process



Court Process



Mental Health Support






Local Mental Health Crisis Support

If you are in a crisis with your mental health telephone our 24/7 help line on 0800 0328 728

Carers Support




Specifically for partners, relatives and friends of anyone who has been viewing sexual images of under 18s online





Domestic Violence – Victim and Perpetrator




Sexual Violence/ Abuse



Drugs and Alcohol Support

      Stoke-on-Trent Community Drug & Alcohol Service – Home (scdas.org.uk)


Homelessness Support




Help with homelessness and mental health issues | Brighter Futures (brighter-futures.org.uk)

Finances Support (Benefits and Employment)



Learning disabilities

An Annual Health Check is done at your Doctors once a year. Your doctor or nurse will take a closer look your health and wellbeing. The health check is available for people with a learning disability from the age of 14.

Mencap have a great video that helps you understand what will happen at the annual health check


It’s good to get a health check to help us keep healthy.  

The health check will help you, your Doctor and your family to know if there is anything that you can do or they can do to help you stay healthy. Having a health check means that if there are any changes in your body or how you are feeling these can be found early and you can get the right help.

After the health check you should be given a health plan which tells you what you need to do to keep healthy and how your Doctor will help you .

The NHS has to make it easier for people with a learning disabilities to use health services this is called making   Reasonable Adjustments. NHS England » Reasonable adjustments

Tell your Doctor if you need Reasonable Adjustments. 

  • These can be using simpler language or using pictures to tell you what is happening
  • Having longer appointment times
  • Having your appointment at a quieter time
  • Having a carer or friend to support you at the appointment

After your health check you should be offered a plan on what you can do and what your Doctor or Nurse will do. 

You might find this book useful, which can be downloaded by using the link:- Mental Health | Steven Hardy – Indep (stevehardyldn.com)